Thursday, October 22, 2015

Ashfall

Title: Ashfall
Author: Mike Mullin
Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 456
Purchase this book here

Alex lives a quiet, normal life.  He argues with his mother, he's annoyed with his sister, and he spends more time staring at his computer screen then he does at real people.  In other words, Alex is very unextraordinary.  That is, until Yellowstone erupts like no eruption ever before.  It plunges the entire U.S into an ashen winter; it's the volcanic apocalypse.  As Alex travels across the Mississippi to find his family, he's tested over and over again by different trials, and Alex knows that everyday could be his last.

I'm going to be completely honest here and say that I didn't like this book.  I truly wish I hadn't wasted my time with it.  The sad thing is, though, that it could've been an amazing book. Unfortunately, it's ruined by the romance.
Picture this:  I place my hold on this book, it comes in, and I start reading it.  My initial reaction was something like: Wow! This is really cool! An apocalypse that could really happen, a super volcano- a main character left to fend for himself; this is gonna be epic! 

And then, some 150 pages later- Darla.  

Firstly, I do not like Darla.  She's supposed to be this really strong, independent farm girl who's also super gorgeous and skinny.  Ok, sorry, but no.  Just no.  Give her some flaws.  Don't make her super skinny. Make her muscular like she should be, given the amount of strength she has.  Make her not pretty, because she isn't the type of girl that actually cares about her appearance.  

Secondly, I do not like Darla.  Every time I read her name, I just pictured: 



Thirdly, the author is just not good at writing romance.  You know when you pick up a book and the romance is slowly developed, and you actually want the characters to end up together, and their romance just feels natural and right?  Ok, now picture the opposite, and that's Alex and Darla.  The romance is not developed.  It's basically: 
  • They meet
  • They kiss
  • They confess their undying love
It just moves to quickly, and the author just isn't good at writing romance.  It completely ruined what could'vebeen an awesome, dystopian novel. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I'll write back soon! Be sure to check that 'notify me' button so we can keep the discussion going!