Thursday, February 11, 2016

Stars Above

Title: Stars Above
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Pages: 369
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Purchase this book:
Amazon • Barnes & Noble • Book Depository

The Lunar Chronicles may be over, but Stars Above completes the last novel with its epilogue and other short stories, including The Keeper, Glitches, The Queen's Army, Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky, After Sunshine Passes, The Princess and the Guard, The Little Android, The Mechanic, and Something Old, Something New. 

I thought this collection was okay. There were nine short stories, and I only really only enjoyed three of them.

The first four stories, The Keeper, Glitches, The Queen's Army, Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky, and After Sunshine Passes were somewhat entertaining. I mean, you learned a bit of background about some of the characters, but it doesn't add anything to the story. I could've gone without reading them. 

I did enjoy The Princess and the Guard, as it was all about Winter and Jacin's relationship as they grew up. Winter is my favorite character, and I loved getting to read a story showing us all the trauma she went through as a child. It really helped me understand and respect her as a character. 

The Little Android was sort of cool, as it was a retelling of The Little Mermaid, but the story itself was very boring, and was about all new characters we were meeting for the first time. I did enjoy The Mechanic, though. It was Cinder and Kai's first meeting from Kai's point of view, and I liked reading about what was going on through his mind. 

And finally, the epilogue, Something Old, Something New. I'm definitely glad I got to read this epilogue. We find out all about the relationships we'd grown to love, and how they played out. No, it wasn't so amazing that it made this book a four star, but I'm still happy we got this nice, cute, fairytale ending. 

So if you're contemplating reading this, I'd say give it a shot. It's not very long, and for the most part, it goes fast. You'll get to learn the background of the main characters, and find out how the series concludes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I'll write back soon! Be sure to check that 'notify me' button so we can keep the discussion going!