Monday, April 11, 2016

Intimidating Books


When I look at my TBR list, there are definitely books that I simply struggle to bring myself to read. Whether it be their length, plot, or genre, there's a reason each one of these books has yet to be read by me. Let's discuss which ones are on my personal list, and which are on yours! 


The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
I've heard nothing by fantastic things about this book, and multiple people have recommended it to me. However, this book it pretty lengthy, and it's sequel even lengthier. Add that to the fact that it's high fantasy- and you've got the recipe for an intimidating book. 


Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
Here's another novel I've heard nothing but good things about. However, despite the fact that I own this book, I haven't actually read the Grisha trilogy. I know that it isn't required that you read the Grisha trilogy first, but I'd rather have anyway. Reading Six of Crows means that I'll have to read an entire trilogy that's not even supposed to be all that good. That personally intimidates me.

 

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
I know that this book is supposed to be really good. I own it, and I've read many of the blurbs on the back that compare it to Harry Potter. Honestly, the only reason I'm scared to open this book up is simply because of how good it's supposed to be. Catriona over at Little Book Owl said finishing this book felt similar to finishing Illuminae, and finishing Illuminae for me resulted in not being able to crack open a book for a good handful of days. Scary! 


Yellow Brick War by Danielle Paige
This book certainly doesn't appear intimidating, and it's not. It's super short, and I can probably finish it up in one sitting. However, I think that's what intimidates me. I really, really loved Dorothy Must Die, the first book in this trilogy, and was ultimately disappointed reading The Wicked Will Rise. I was hoping the finale book would wrap it up nicely, and be much better than book two, but it's just so short in comparison to both books one and two. I'm worried that this book will completely ruin my appreciation for Dorothy Must Die. 


So that's it for my intimidating TBR list! What are some books you're apprehensive about cracking open? 


2 comments:

  1. Apparently there is a 4th Dorothy Must Die book listed on Goodreads so the series may not be over with the 3rd book. I was worried about the length too when I first purchased it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I didn't know that! Well, then hopefully the final book is sufficient in length.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I'll write back soon! Be sure to check that 'notify me' button so we can keep the discussion going!