Friday, April 8, 2016

The Evolution of Mara Dyer

Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2)
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Genre: YA Paranormal/Fantasy
Pages: 527
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Purchase this book here:
Amazon • Barnes & NobleBook Depository

In this continuation novel, Mara Dyer knows she's being stalked by her ex boyfriend, Jude Lowe. Unfortunately, considering her frequent hallucinations, PTSD, and the mere fact that Jude is supposed to be dead, nobody seems to believe her. The only person on the face of the Earth who truly knows that Mara is telling the truth is her boyfriend, Noah Shaw. But she and Shaw are linked in more ways than meets the eyes. Mara destroys while Noah heals, and she's supposed to love him to ruins.

There's definitely a shift in overall mood between book one and book two. Book one's plot was pretty much all stuff that could scientifically happen. All her hallucinations and PTSD symptoms were things that absolutely could happen. And I think I liked that better. The realism was what made it so interesting for me. The fact that everything taking place could actually happen held a certain amount of interest for me. It made it very unique and original. But, between the end of book one and book two, it shifts into a more fantastical genre. Suddenly special powers develop, and we've moved away from realistic fiction into fantasy. This was probably the main reason this book dropped half a star from book one.

But this doesn't go to mean I didn't like the book. I still did like it. It was interesting, fast paced, and original. The simplicity of the plot allows for more complicated concepts to be introduced without it all being too overwhelming. And I do still like the eerie, creepy aura surrounding the plot. I mean, and stalker is pretty creepy. But the problem with Jude being alive for me was I found it difficult to believe Mara. For about half the book I was strongly supporting her therapists' recommendations to transfer to a residential institute, because I was convinced she really was crazy. I'm pretty sure you're actually supposed to side with the main character from the start, but I did get there eventually. 

I must be honest with you, I'm not a huge Noah fan, either. I really don't feel the chemistry between him and Mara, and I find their whole relationship to be rather insta-lovey.  Plus I miss getting to see her brothers as much. We hardly get to see Daniel and Joesph- it's always Noah she turns to. 

Okay so maybe I'm making it sound like I don't like The Evolution of Mara Dyer, but I swear I did! Overall it was a nice read and a good continuation. I'm relatively excited to find out what happens next. This is definitely a unique series, and I recommend giving it a shot. 


 Other books in this series:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I'll write back soon! Be sure to check that 'notify me' button so we can keep the discussion going!