Sunday, September 18, 2016

We Were Liars

Title: We Were Liars
Author: E. Lockhart
Genre: YA Contemporary
Pages: 242
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Purchase this book:
AmazonBarnes & NobleBook Depository

Cadence spends the summers on a private island owned by her family with her three closest friends who also happen to be her cousins. Summer after summer things go smoothly, Cadence spending her days lounging on the beach, sleeping in her mom's mansion, and eating food prepared for her by the kitchen staff. But everything changes one summer when... well, Cadence doesn't exactly remember what happened, but she knows something did.

This book was something completely crazy. In a good way. I was truthfully left trying to figure out what to do with myself after finishing this novel.

As you know, it takes place on a luxury island that Cadence's rich Grandfather owns. Being someone who does not, in fact, own an island, I thought it was fun to read about this lifestyle. This lifestyle where you can sleep in until noon, go to bed as late as you want, never have to do the dishes or cook your own meals. A lifestyle where you sleep in one of three mansions on the island. A lifestyle where you can spend your days with your closest companions, on the beach, in the sun. 

Honestly, Cadence has it pretty good. 

But besides me loving the summer vibes I got from this book, I really did enjoy reading it. It's the type of book that you go into thinking the book's going to be a nice, easy summer read, and then BOOM, it's not. 

Of course, I don't want to tell you too much, but I will say that there is a mysterious atmosphere, and you're not quite sure what's going on, but you are sure that you want to know exactly what left Cadence's memory. 

I'm giving We Were Liars four and a half stars for being a suspenseful, heart breaking story that was also somehow fun to read? Anyway, please go and read We Were Liars. I put it off for so long, and I wish I'd picked it up sooner. It truly is an amazing read. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I'll write back soon! Be sure to check that 'notify me' button so we can keep the discussion going!