Thursday, November 12, 2015

Blue Lily, Lily Blue

Title: Blue Lily, Lily Blue
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 391
Purchase this book here

In the third book of the Raven Cycle, Blue Sargent, daughter, niece, and cousin to psychics, has lost her mother. Maura Sargent left 300 Fox Way, leaving nothing behind but an ambiguous note.  While struggling through the grief of not having a mother present, the reality that she would never be able to afford to go to a good college, and the impending threat of Gansey dying, Blue tries to remain focused on the task ahead of her: finding and waking the dead king Glendower. 




Blue Lily, Lily Blue is definitely a rarity in YA.  How often do you get a book about psychics and welsh kings, sprinkled with light romance, action, and some pretty memorable plot twists?  

Not very often.

This novel is the third in a series of four.  (The fourth has not yet been released.)  Obviously, I have to like the first and second books well enough to read the third one, so I must say I've enjoyed all three.  This is the type of series that gets better with each book; I can't keep myself from picking up the next one.  

So I would recommend this book to someone who's willing to get through the first two as well, as you'll find that it starts off a bit slow and uneventful.  

Blue Lily, Lily Blue is absolutely packed with plot twists and cliffhangers.  It's that type of book that you have to keep telling yourself, "one more chapter. One more chapter."  

However much I enjoyed this book, I do have one complaint: it gets a little confusing.  Stiefvater does this thing where she ends the chapter with a cliffhanger and then picks the story up a couple hours later, forcing the reader to infer about what happened.  It can get a little confusing, like when a teacher gives instructions, but you're the only one who wasn't listening.  

So it's not my favorite book ever, but I certainly liked it, and I would recommend that you read it, especially if you're up for something new!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I'll write back soon! Be sure to check that 'notify me' button so we can keep the discussion going!