Monday, December 28, 2015

Shatter Me

Title: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)
Author: Tahereh Mafi 
Genre: YA Dystopian
Pages: 338
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Purchase this book here

Juliette's touch is poisoned with death. Every human she touches dies within minutes.  Why? Nobody knows for sure, but the one thing that everyone knows is that Juliette is powerful.  The Reestablishment seeks to use her curse power to take over the world. Juliette seeks to hide her power from the world. After being imprisoned for the past year because of her curse power, Juliette is wary of anyone who sees good in an ability so evil.  


I liked this book more than I thought I would, even if it's not the best book ever.  The action is exciting, and the overall idea is very unique. 

Maybe you picked this up from my synopsis, but the book is filled with crossed out words.  I really liked this aspect of the novel, because it helped you better understand Juliette, the main character.  However, I can see why this would bother some people, as it does break the flow of the writing a bit.  If this is something that would ruin the reading experience for you, I would steer clear of this novel.  

My biggest problem with the book was probably the love interest.  Adam is a rather bland character.  He doesn't really have a personality, and he lacks flaws. What little personality he does have is conflicting.  

My other problem with this book was how much romance there was.  I'm fine with some here and there, but it felt like every other scene was a romance scene. 

However, I did enjoy this book.  It had a very interesting plot.  Juliette literally has the touch of death, and it was interesting to read from the point of view of a person who is pretty much isolated from society in a mental and physical way.  

I would recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a unique dystopian action novel, and doesn't mind a lot of romance.  I'm rating it three and a half stars merely because it wasn't terrible, it wasn't spectacular, but I did enjoy it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts; I'll write back soon! Be sure to check that 'notify me' button so we can keep the discussion going!